USU Student Activities Officer
Camperdown, Sydney, NSW
Student Activities Officer - USYD Camperdown Main Campus Location
- Work with a fun and vibrant team in the USU community
- Help make Welcome Fest an experience to remember!
- Further job opportunities available in a variety of areas
Who YOU are
You LOVE campus life - especially Welcome Fest! You are passionate about generating excitement and promoting the benefits of USU Membership and USU Rewards. You are happy to work during Welcome Fest from 19-21 February AND ideally, throughout Weeks 1 and 2 of Semester 1 2020. Casual work during 2020 may also be available. You are interested in the work that the USU does, including in the following areas: Membership, International Programs, Clubs and Societies and Volunteering.
You will be the face of the USU so you will have strong interpersonal skills to create a positive experience for current and potential USU Members visiting USYD in 2020.
You like to be challenged with variety! The Student Activities Officer will perform promotional, administrative, registration and customer service responsibilities.
You have most likely played an active role in the USU and are available to work two, or more, weekdays during the Semester.
Who WE are
We are for students on campus! We run Welcome Fest which is Australia’s biggest university orientation event. We run festivals, events and clubs and societies on campus throughout the year. Our focus is to provide the best campus experience in Australia!
What you will DO
You will mainly be assisting with the spruiking of USU Membership and USU Rewards in the three following areas:
- Spruiking & Queue Management –You will have strong interpersonal skills and enjoy face-to-face encounters. You will be able to discuss the benefits of USU Membership, USU Rewards, and the USU as a whole with enthusiasm.
- Registration of Memberships – You will have general computer literacy and demonstrated interpersonal skills
- Sales Processing – You will have cash register/EFTPOS experience and general computer literacy
WHEN will we need you
- Wednesday 29 January or Monday 3 February –Interviews between 11am and 2pm (you must be available on at least one day – full details available on the application form)
- Tuesday 11 February– Compulsory paid training (approx. 10am to 2pm)
- Wednesday 19 – Friday 21 February – Welcome Fest (shifts available between 8am and 5pm)
- There may be additional shifts available on Thursday 13 February (approx.. 9am-2pm) and Tuesday 18 February (approx. 12pm – 5pm or 6pm – 11pm), and there is the possibility of ongoing causal work throughout 2020.
- Currently enrolled at the University of Sydney
- Outstanding communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of USU Programs and services
- At least 6 months demonstrated exemplary customer service experience, in voluntary or paid capacities, ideally working in a youth or member focused organisation
- Current USU Member (membership is free, sign up here!)
- Excellent computer skills – especially in computer-based administrative systems
- At least 6 months demonstrated point of sale and cash handling experience
$27.50 per hour + 9.5% Superannuation
Monday 13 January 2020 10am
HOW TO APPLY
- Please read the position description here carefully to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position before applying
- Scroll down and complete our online application form below
- Attach your resume. Please note that you cannot submit your application without attaching your resume.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have commenced your application you cannot save and continue at a later stage.
ABOUT THE USU
Founded in 1874, the USU (University of Sydney Union) is proudly Australia’s oldest and largest not-for-profit student organisation, dedicated to providing students with the best possible university experience.
Led by a student board elected by our members, the USU provides fun things on campus, such as festivals, events and parties. We also run an amazing array of programs, including INCUBATE, our award-winning launch pad for startups, an active volunteering program and a Language Exchange program, to name a few. In addition, we support over 200 Clubs and Societies as well as operate bars, food and retail outlets across campus, providing great coffee, fresh affordable food, graduation gown hire and official USYD merchandise.
We are committed to promoting a workplace of equal opportunities. We promote healthy living and aims to protect the health and safety of staff, members and visitors to the University by providing a Smoke-Free Workplace. We do not accept unsolicited agency applications