Casual Team Member
Camperdown, Sydney, NSW
- Work with a fun and vibrant team in the USU community
- Work while experiencing University of Sydney campus life
- Multifaceted role - you'll never be bored!
WHO YOU ARE
You have a knack for making people smile and helping them find the perfect gift or item of apparel. You are a positive person with an enthusiastic attitude who can deliver exceptional customer service.
You are looking for a casual job to fit around your studies. You want to join a vibrant, dynamic team and culture! You are excited to work with our grads team to provide a unique experience for graduands on their graduation day. You are happy to work across all operational areas of our organisation.
You are looking to be part of a fun and dynamic team and culture. If this is who you are - this is the perfect opportunity for you! We want you to bring your positivity, friendly and fun-loving personality to the team!
WHO WE ARE
We are about students on Campus. USYD Store sells Sydney University branded merchandise to graduates during graduation season. We also have a wide range of restaurants, cafes, quick service venues, bars and an events team on the University of Sydney main campus.
We care about your development so we offer paid training days. We are all about you, we also offer exciting opportunities to move into other areas of interest!
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Using your winning smile and knowledge of our services to make your customers feel welcome and that their satisfaction and repeat business are your top priority
- Support students by exploring our University of Sydney memorabilia together
- Perform fitting services for graduation clothing and apparel items
- Use your stunning smile and winning personality to provide an outstanding customer service experience
- Promptly and accurately complete customer purchases
- Assist with visual merchandising
- You will also have the opportunity to work in other areas of our business to perform a variety of other duties including making a range of high standard coffee/hot drinks, accurate order taking, use of POS, cash handling, serving food, cleaning, general cafe duties, working in our bars or with our events team and supporting the team as a whole with your infectious “can do” attitude
- Use your strong interpersonal skills to explain the benefits of the USU Membership and USU Rewards
YOU WILL HAVE
- At least 1 years’ experience and demonstrate a strong understanding of Point of Sale (POS systems)in a retail or food and beverage environment
- An infectiously positive, flexible, hardworking attitude towards work
- Strong level of verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills and a flexible, “can do” attitude towards work
- Impeccable personal presentation
- Experience opening and closing outlet/s
- The ability to move and work across multiple outlets as required
- At least 1 years’ experience working with commercial coffee machines in a high volume environment (using at least 5-10kgs of beans per day) and a passion for coffee
- 1 years’ of previous demonstrated experience working in functions and events
- 1 years' experience as a bartender in a pub/hotel, restaurant or small bar
- Experience in pouring high volumes of draught (tap) beer, preparing cocktails and taking food orders in a fast-paced environment
- A current Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) photo card
- Current Food Safety Supervisor certificate
- Understanding of HACCP procedures
HOURS OF WORK
You must be available during the graduate season: April - June 2021 and then October - December 2021 to be considered
Our retail and food and beverage outlets are not open on weekends, however there may be opportunities to work in bars and events with generous penalty rates during weekends
Job shifts are in intermittent blocks with big breaks, perfect to suit a university timetable
During University semester grad periods: 20 – 30 hours per week between 7:30am and 7:30pm Monday to Friday
Outside semester times: hours may be reduced based on business needs
*You must be available a minimum of 3 shifts a week
$26.64 per hour + attractive penalty rates + 9.5% Superannuation
IDEAL START DATE
Successful applicants will be required to be available for the compulsory induction. Please consider this date prior to applying.
HOW TO APPLY
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- Please read the position description here carefully to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position before applying
- Scroll down and complete our online application form below
- Attach your resume. Please note that you cannot submit your application without attaching your resume.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have commenced your application you cannot save and continue at a later stage.
MORE ABOUT THE USU
Founded in 1874, the USU (University of Sydney Union) is proudly Australia’s oldest and largest not-for-profit student organisation, dedicated to providing students with the best possible university experience.
Led by a student board elected by our members, the USU provides fun things on campus, such as festivals, events and parties. We also run an amazing array of programs, an active volunteering program and an International Language Exchange, to name a few. In addition, we support over 200 Clubs and Societies as well as operate bars, food and retail outlets across campus, providing great coffee, fresh affordable food, graduation gown hire and official USYD merchandise.
We are committed to promoting a workplace of equal opportunities. We promote healthy living and aims to protect the health and safety of staff, members and visitors to the University by providing a Smoke-Free Workplace. We do not accept unsolicited agency applications
Due to the volume of applications received, shortlisted applicants will be contacted within approximately 4 weeks of the role’s closing date (or 4 weeks from the date of application if there is no specified closing date).