Business Development Executive
Camperdown, Sydney, NSW
- Fast paced, exciting environment
- Manage your own pipeline and staff
- Convenient and prestigious working location
ABOUT THE ROLE
The full time permanent role offers a talented business development executive the opportunity to be exposed to a broad range of event, brand activation, advertising, and sponsorship selling opportunities.
The USU is seeking a driven executive that can ensure ongoing excellent working relationships with internal and external clients and colleagues. You will actively drive and enable the continual growth of the revenue base of the USU so that the organisation can deliver world class programs and services to the members of the University of Sydney community.
The principal objectives in the role are:
- Drive revenue growth for the business
- Build long term relationships with a range of clients
- Support the Sponsorship and Advertising Manager in managing the administration function of the department
You will be working on the sales activity for four key channels:
- Event sales
- Brand Activations and On-Campus Sampling
- Membership Rewards Partners
You will achieve agreed sales targets each year. In addition, you will also be exposed to a rapidly developing sponsorship portfolio that represents significant opportunities to develop and grow revenue for the business.
- Support the S&A Manager in developing, maintaining and retaining current sponsorship relationships
- Handle in bound and out bound sales calls / emails
- Attend sales meeting with external clients
- Prepare contracts and sales documents for clients
- Identify appropriate product / brand categories and develop a strategy to approach and drive revenue from these target categories including cold calling as required
- Manage the after-sales service to clients to ensure all client benefits and activities are delivered in a timely, professional and high quality manner
- Develop and maintain S&A client database and dashboards for each major event
- Assist the S&A Manager with the preparation of monthly Board Reports
- Prepare in consultation with the S&A Manager various sales collateral documents including proposals, sales reports, media kits, rate cards and strategic plans for the function
- Coordinate casual staff and volunteers for various activities as required by the S&A Function
- Manage all advertising requirements for both internal and external clients including ensuring delivery of agreed benefits / advertising rights
- Manage all external brand on–campus brand activations/sampling activity
- Lead the S&A Function relationships with the USU Programs Department and other relevant departments (Operations, Marketing, Bars, C&S, Facilities, IT) to ensure we receive the support required to maximise value for the business
Suitably qualified, experienced and enthusiastic candidates should provide a resume and separate written statements against each of the essential criteria listed below:
- 2+ years professional experience working in a sales environment preferably in the media / advertising arena
- Demonstrable evidence of a pro-active commitment to driving revenue growth and sales / business development
- Demonstrated commitment to innovation – experience in identifying new revenue streams / opportunities and improved processes
- High level verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent client management / customer relations skills and the ability to enhance relationships and create perceived and real value for partners
- Demonstrated high level organisational and time management skills and the ability to perform under pressure, plan workflow to meet deadlines and be proactive in problem solving.
- An understanding of the tertiary student market(s)
- A positive attitude towards clients (both internal and external) and the flexibility to understand that we are working in a fluid rapidly changing environment
- Commitment to WHS and EEO
- Tertiary qualifications in marketing/PR/event Production/Sponsorship
$70,000 base + Commission with OTE + 9.5% Superannuation.
- An $11 meal card per day worked
- 17.5% Annual Leave Loading
- A complimentary ACCESS card giving discounts on and off campus
- Generous paid leave entitlements including 4 additional paid grant days per year and much more!
HOW TO APPLY
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- Please read the position description (click here to download) before applying.
- Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should provide a resume and a cover letter (no more than two pages in length) that address the selection criteria above (with contact details of at least two references you reported directly to). Please note: Applications that do not specifically address the selection criteria above, will not be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have commenced your application you cannot save and continue at a later stage.
ABOUT THE USU
Founded in 1874, the USU (University of Sydney Union) is proudly Australia’s oldest and largest not-for-profit student organisation, dedicated to providing students with the best possible university experience.
Led by a student board elected by our members, the USU provides fun things on campus, such as festivals, events and parties. We also run an amazing array of programs, including INCUBATE, our award-winning launch pad for startups, an active volunteering program and a Language Exchange Program, to name a few. In addition, we support over 200 Clubs and Societies as well as operate bars, food and retail outlets across campus, providing great coffee, fresh affordable food, graduation gown hire and official USYD merchandise.
We are committed to promoting a workplace of equal opportunities. We promote healthy living and aims to protect the health and safety of staff, members and visitors to the University by providing a Smoke-Free Workplace. We do not accept unsolicited agency applications.
Due to the volume of applications received, shortlisted applicants will be contacted within approximately 4 weeks of the role’s closing date (or 4 weeks from the date of application if there is no specified closing date).