Camperdown, Sydney, NSW
Work with our HostCo catering business and experience a:
- Fantastic team environment
- Varied range of events and functions
- Front-line role which makes a difference
ABOUT THE ROLE
Functions supervisor is a hands-on position, the role is responsible for day-to-day set up and execution of HostCo’s functions and events that involves shifts on weekends, nights and public holidays and the appropriate control of costs and labour resources to successfully deliver on client’s needs.
You will be highly organised with an eye for detail and passionate. The autonomous role working within a team and reporting to the Functions Manager.
WHO WE ARE
We are a not-for-profit organisation focused on students at the University of Sydney. The revenue we generate through our operations is used to support students and create experiences they will remember for a lifetime. You will be playing an integral role in this through working closely with our clients and assisting our events to run smoothly.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Supervision of our function staff team – assisting in rostering, development and day-to-day performance coaching and management
- Event management, ensuring our events are held to our Gold Licensed standard. This includes liaising with the Sales and Events team before handover to ensure all details are clear and confirmed prior to the function and to ensure that the event is delivered in line with the client’s expectations.
- Keeping a high level of attention to detail with an excellent ability to multi-task and prioritise
- Instruct and assist with set up of rooms according to floor plans and function requirements
- Monitor cost control of stock and staffing
- Undertake administration for the day-to-day running of the department (including payroll, HACCP, invoicing, inventory management and other internal business systems)
- Training of function and wait staff
- Liaising with the Functions manager to ensure you have a thorough understanding of the event requirements to deliver an exceptional function
- This role would be ideal for someone looking to work in a fast-paced environment and further develop their managerial skills
YOU WILL HAVE
- At least two years of previous demonstrated supervisory experience of at least 10 wait / bar staff
- At least 2 years’ experience supervising high volume event / wedding / conference type functions
- Demonstrated understanding of client and customer service and high level of verbal and written communication skills
- Must have a passion for food and wine
- Experience in working with integrated AV systems with a good degree of IT trouble shooting expertise
- Experience in managing client needs and forming ongoing relationships
- Strong organisational and problem-solving skills
- Flexibility with regard to hours worked
- Understanding of HACCP procedures or food safety programs
- Current Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) competency photo card
- Tertiary qualifications in event and hospitality management.
- A commitment to and understanding of the Union, its roles and relationship to the University
- Previous experience ordering stock and effectively managing stock levels
- Previous demonstrated experience in developing and working to process and procedure documents
- A general knowledge of industrial and Work Health and Safety legislation
- Current NSW provisional or above driver’s licence
- An $11 meal card per day worked
- 17.5% Annual Leave Loading
- Complimentary USU Membership giving discounts on and off campus
- Generous paid leave entitlements including 4 additional paid leave days per year
- Ongoing paid training and development
- And more!
HOURS OF WORK
38 hours per week
$62,500 p.a. + 10.5% Superannuation.
HOW TO APPLY
The Health and Safety of our community is extremely important to us and so we ask that applicants are double vaccinated with a recognised COVID-19 vaccination and can show us their COVID-19 digital certificate or a medical contraindication exemption certificate.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- Please read the position description here carefully to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position before applying
- Scroll down and complete our online application form below
- Attach your resume. Please note that you cannot submit your application without attaching your resume
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have commenced your application you cannot save and continue at a later stage.
ABOUT THE USU
The USU (University of Sydney Union) is a not-for-profit organisation, whose purpose is to be the heart of campus life and we have been doing that since 1874.
Led by a student board elected by our members, the USU provides events on campus such as WelcomeFest, festivals, events and parties. We also run an amazing array of programs, including an active volunteering program and a Language Exchange Program, to name a few. We support over 200 Clubs and Societies as well as operate bars, food and retail outlets across campus, providing great coffee, fresh affordable food, graduation gown hire and official USYD merchandise.
We are committed to promoting a workplace of equal opportunities. We promote healthy living and aims to protect the health and safety of staff, members and visitors to the University by providing a Smoke-Free Workplace. We do not accept unsolicited agency applications.
Due to the volume of applications received, shortlisted applicants will be contacted within approximately 4 weeks of the role’s closing date (or 4 weeks from the date of application if there is no specified closing date).