Student Activities Officer
Camperdown, Sydney, NSW
- Work with a fun and vibrant team in the USU community
- Help make Welcome Fest an experience to remember!
- Further job opportunities available in a variety of areas
WHO YOU ARE
As a USU Student Activities Coordinator, you’re an outgoing and friendly individual who enjoys customer service and possesses a high level of attention to detail when it comes to any task. You will be the first point of contact for USU Members (and non-members), so a professional workplace tone is a must. You are passionate about generating excitement and promoting the benefits of USU Membership and USU Rewards. You are also interested in all aspects of the USU, including Membership, Programs, Clubs and Societies and Volunteering.
You like to be challenged with variety! The Student Activities Officer will perform promotional, administrative, registration and customer service responsibilities across the above programs.
You will have prior knowledge of the USU and have most likely played an active role in some aspect. You wish to expand your knowledge by working two or more weekdays during the Semester.
WHO WE ARE
We are the heart of Student Life on Campus. Our focus is to provide the best campus experience in Australia. The USU provide one of the largest Clubs and Societies program in Australia, host Campus Flagship events such as Welcome Week Festival, Pride Festival, International Festival as well as a bunch of one-off events that incorporate our sustainable values as well as our individual portfolios including: Wom*ns, Ethnocultural, Disability and more.
The USU provides a Membership program (USU Rewards or USU Membership) which unlocks a gateway to Club events and activities, great deals across all USU venues and Membership perks such as cheap eats. You also have the option to join as many USU Clubs as you please.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Our Student Activities Officer roles offer great flexibility around rostering to meet your study requirements as well as being a great opportunity to work on the Sydney University Camperdown Campus. In this role, you will be trained across four areas: Clubs and Societies, Membership, Student Programs and Volunteering.
Clubs and Societies: Process club admin including annual affiliation, event registration and website content, and respond to general phone, email and face-to-face enquiries.
Membership: Manage Membership enquiries, drive Membership sales, perform ad-hoc administrative tasks, process registrations and manual payments when required
Student Programs: Assist with general event enquires from customers, perform administrative tasks where required, assist with Student Programs events/festivals where required.
Volunteering: Assist with V-Team events, supervising a small group of volunteers, providing various administration tasks, updating databases where required.
WHEN WILL WE NEED YOU
- Wednesday 18th and Thursday 19th January 2023 between 10am-2pm for a group interview in person (you must be available on at least one day)
- Tuesday 24th January 2023– compulsory paid training (approx. 10am to 2pm)
- Monday 30th January shifts commence based on availability.
- Currently enrolled at the University of Sydney
- Outstanding communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of USU events, programs and services
- At least 6 months demonstrated exemplary customer service experience, in voluntary or paid capacities, ideally working in a youth or member focused organisation
- Current USU Member (Membership is free, sign up here!)
- Excellent computer skills – especially in computer-based administrative systems
- At least 6 months demonstrated point of sale and cash handling experience
$30.00 per hour + 10.5% Superannuation
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: SUNDAY, 8 JANUARY 2023 AT 11:59PM
HOW TO APPLY
- Please read the position description here carefully to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position before applying
- Scroll down and complete our online application form below
- Attach your resume. Please note that you cannot submit your application without attaching your resume.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have commenced your application you cannot save and continue at a later stage.
ABOUT THE USU
The USU (University of Sydney Union) is a not-for-profit organisation, whose purpose is to be the heart of campus life and we have been doing that since 1874.
Led by a student board elected by our members, the USU provides events on campus such as WelcomeFest, festivals, events and parties. We also run an amazing array of programs, including an active volunteering program and a Language Exchange Program, to name a few. We support over 200 Clubs and Societies as well as operate bars, food and retail outlets across campus, providing great coffee, fresh affordable food, graduation gown hire and official USYD merchandise.
We are committed to promoting a workplace of equal opportunities. We promote healthy living and aims to protect the health and safety of staff, members and visitors to the University by providing a Smoke-Free Workplace. We do not accept unsolicited agency applications.
Due to the volume of applications received, shortlisted applicants will be contacted within approximately 4 weeks of the role’s closing date (or 4 weeks from the date of application if there is no specified closing date).