Graphic Designer (Permanent Full Time)
Camperdown, Sydney, NSW
WE’RE ON THE HUNT FOR A TALENTED GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Let your creativity shine at the University of Sydney Union (USU)
If you’re an exceptional mid-weight graphic designer looking to make a difference in the youth market, then we would love you to join our friendly and energetic Marketing team. Your role will be to manage the design needs of our diverse organisational departments. You’ll be involved in a wide variety of projects, from student events to brand identities, retail promotions and corporate documents, developing dynamic youth-oriented creative solutions for both print and digital media.
As the sole designer for USU, you will be able to take the creative lead and make your mark. Your key responsibilities will include managing the design activities on a daily basis, maintaining and evolving brand guidelines, advising on future trends and directions, pro-actively participating in meetings, liaising directly with stakeholders, completing and presenting work, design administration tasks and print management, as well as briefing and managing freelancers who might be working on a project.
Recognised as Australia’s largest and most dynamic not-for-profit student organisation, USU is located within the beautiful grounds of Sydney University, and offers an inclusive, supportive culture and great work life balance, with loads of opportunities for development and proactive engagement.
- Qualification in Graphic Design from a recognised institution
- Minimum 4+ years design experience in an agency or recognised organisation
- Work portfolio that shows creative and effective high-quality design solutions across
a broad range of projects for both print and digital medium
- Appreciation and understanding of youth-focused brands, trends and design
- Strong branding, identity, design and typographic skills
- Ability to multitask, be highly organised, and work both autonomously or in a team
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to develop creative solutions within brand guidelines
- Ability to handle pressure and manage workload in order to deliver to tight deadlines
- Strong understanding of print production
- Strong knowledge of digital platforms, including popular social channels
- Highly proficient on a Mac platform
- Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Professional, positive and proactive attitude
- Proven ability to build positive relationships with stakeholders and colleagues
- Experience working in the youth market or on youth brands
- Strong illustration capabilities
- Website design experience
- Knowledge of motion graphics (Final Cut Pro/ Premiere Pro/ After Effects)
- A demonstrated passion for youth culture
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Experience working for a non-profit organisation
HOURS of work
35 hours per week
Competitive Salary + 10% Superannuation
- An exciting opportunity to let your creative talents shine
- A supportive friendly team
- An $11 meal card per day worked
- 17.5% Annual Leave Loading
- A complimentary USU Rewards membership giving discounts on and off campus (valued at $45 per year)
- Generous paid leave entitlements including 4 additional paid leave days per year
- Professional development opportunities
IDEAL START DATE
APPLICATIONS CLOSE: FRIDAY, 30TH JULY AT 10AM
HOW TO APPLY
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
- Please read the position description here before applying.
- Complete the online application form below and attach your cover letter, resume (with contact details of at least two references you reported directly to) that address our essential and desirable criteria above, and a link to your portfolio.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have commenced your application you cannot save and continue at a later stage.
ABOUT THE USU
Founded in 1874, the USU (University of Sydney Union) is proudly Australia’s oldest and largest not-for-profit student organisation, dedicated to providing students with the best possible university experience.
Led by a student board elected by our members, the USU provides fun things on campus, such as festivals, events and parties. We also run an amazing array of programs, including an active volunteering program and a Language Exchange Program, to name a few. In addition, we support over 200 Clubs and Societies as well as operate bars, food and retail outlets across campus, providing great coffee, fresh affordable food, graduation gown hire and official USYD merchandise.
We are committed to promoting a workplace of equal opportunities. We promote healthy living and aims to protect the health and safety of staff, members and visitors to the University by providing a Smoke-Free Workplace. We do not accept unsolicited agency applications.
Due to the volume of applications received, shortlisted applicants will be contacted within approximately 4 weeks of the role’s closing date (or 4 weeks from the date of application if there is no specified closing date).